There are still rules to abide in your home, even if you own it outright. If something is illegal outside of your property it will no doubt be illegal inside it as well.

A break of the law or a complaint made against you will often require the services of a solicitor as a way to resolve issues or even stand your case in court. There are various ways in which the law can apply to your home; here are five common cases of when it does so.


You’ll see further information on these sites as well as reading our guide:

Defending from Intruders

New legislation introduced in 2012 by the Conservative government has given you more freedom as a homeowner to defend your family and property from intruders. It is now them who lose their rights and not you. Only if you use disproportionate force can you face prosecution yourself. You should always keep your home locked at all times however as you may not be able to claim insurance on stolen goods if a break-in occurs.

Leaving Children Alone

In regards to leaving your children in the home on their own, there is no specific minimum age set by the government in relation to this. Some general guidelines state that babies or toddlers should never be left without supervision whilst children of 12 or younger should never be alone for sustained periods of time. Although the laws are relaxed in this manner, if you leave them with a potential risk of harm, this is classed as an offence and can lead to a prosecution.

Anti-Social Behaviour

Just because you own your home and the land around it doesn’t mean you are exempt from the law. Other people, principally your neighbours and passing pedestrians, also have rights. If your conduct is affecting neighbors in a negative way then this can be classed as anti-social behaviour. This covers a range of areas, such as noise pollution, vandalism or performing criminal activity. It can also be applied to littering, fly-tipping and graffiti in the space outside of your property. Aggressive behavior, street drinking or late night parties can also lead to complaints.

Planning Permission

A legal matter which infuriates many people is to do with receiving planning permission from the local council to build or modify your own property. Some changes don’t need official permission whilst others do, i.e. building a conservatory or house extension. Other changes to your property, such as constructing walls, planting large trees and installing large satellite dishes, may also require legal consent.


A case for many solicitors involves a policy called easement. This is the right an individual has over another person’s land or property. Of course, this can apply to you as well as a neighbor. The most common circumstances of easement come with situations of right of way, i.e. if a regularly parked car is blocking a public route. Right of light is another instance of easement, if a new house extension blocks light into a neighboring home for example. Solicitors can be called into deal with these types of cases and inform you of your rights and responsibilities as a home owner.